Friday, February 29, 2008

A spider, a howling dog and an evening with Bob Dylan…

- Johnny Breedt -

The other day whilst visiting Prince Albert, I was invited by William and Colleen from "Prince Albert Country Store" to attend a live show at the Bergwater wine farm, where local musician Brian Finch was presenting a "Bob Dylan" evening.

After a really great meal and some wine we moved into a small barn where the show got underway. I had propped myself up against a wooden bar and was enjoying the music when I felt something crawling under my shirt, but thought it might just be the vibration of the loud amplifier that was next to me.

Next thing a Red Roman spider the size of my hand, popped out of my T-shirt collar! I’m not sure who got the bigger fright, the spider or me, but after taking one look at me, he jumped onto my legs (I was wearing shorts) and disappeared under the musician’s feet.

The spider kept going round in circles, continually running over my legs, which made me feel really uncomfortable. I sat on my haunches for a while but the moment I sat down again – there he was, terrorising me.

By now some of the ladies in the front seats had noticed my run-ins with the hairy fellow and they seemed to be growing a little apprehensive. Finally, I plucked up the courage to give him a brush to one side and he decided to head off straight towards the front seats, causing absolute havoc.

It was the funniest thing I have ever seen: all the ladies with their feet in the air screaming their heads off whilst the little beast ran for his life at their feet. Meanwhile Brian was belting out Dylan's "Blowing in the Wind" and judging by the expression on his face, couldn't understand why his audience was behaving so weirdly.

There must have been something blowing in the wind because there was a dog lying sprawled out at the door and every time Brian finished a song, he would howl as if in appreciation.

The evening was almost a surreal experience for me, one that I will never forget. The event was a roaring success and I probably met more locals that night than I have met in all the years that I have been coming to Prince Albert.

Now that Yvette and I are about to become permanent residents I look forward to meeting everyone again soon.

No comments: