Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Christopher Langley at the Gallery

- Brent Phillips-White -

For the last two months Prince Albert has been home to Christopher Langley, a British-trained artist, who has exhibited widely in the United Kingdom, as well as the USA and South Africa.

Christopher has been quietly working away on a group of paintings inspired largely by our very special corner of the Great Karoo.

In his own words: “My fondness for landscape drew me to the Karoo and the forms of the Swartberg and the geological folds of Meiringspoort have informed a number of my recent paintings.

I use my interest in nature and pattern-making to explore relationships between characters; evoke moods and investigate ways of harmonising the often fragmentary and layered nature of this perception.”

Langley goes on to describe his technique as such: “I explore the different ways oil, acrylic and enamel paints react to light through tone, opacity, translucency, gloss and matt especially when playing with depth.

Some of my paintings almost require the viewer to walk around to view them adequately and the paintings themselves seem to change character as the light in the room changes throughout the day.”

The Prince Albert Gallery has been fortunate to obtain ten of these special works.

No comments: