Friday, August 31, 2007

Letters - Briewe

Tribute to Helena

About two years ago when I wanted to visit Prince Albert I looked at the available self-catering accommodation and was astonished to see one of the homes under the name "Helena Marincowitz", because I had read so many of her books but never realised that she lived in Prince Albert.

When I then phoned her to 'book' accommodation I joked with her that I was so surprised to speak to the author of the many books I had read about the area, and that I had thought that the author was 'a legend'. Upon arrival at her home, and hardly unpacked, she suggested strongly that I quickly go into the garden because Pat was busy there and may tell me about his landscaping and the details of the plants. That turned out to be an unforgettable experience. There were many more experiences with Helena subsequently, as she told me about Robert Gordon and his visit and the author Cullinan and numerous other delights in and around and about Prince Albert.

Helena greatly enriched my life and touched me deeply.

Alan Woodman

Farewell, Helena

Although I didn't know Mrs Marincowitz I have a few of her booklets and have always admired her for her sincere interest in the heritage of our beautiful country. She wrote with such feeling and must have spent many, many hours in research. I spent a few days in Prince Albert in January to get to know the town and I felt her presence then as I wandered the streets and absorbed the atmosphere. I heard, through sad residents at the time, that she was not well. I know that when I visit PA again I will still feel her presence as I browse in the museum, watch the leiwater rushing past and feel the hot dry wind as it blows memories over the koppie.

There is no doubt that she will rest in peace - although I don't think she will stop working. I'm sure she will continue to inspire many and she will comfort her family and friends who mourn her.

Marilyn Scott
George

Building Regulations

We all know that Prince Albert has had a number of tragic and traumatic events recently. Reading the last issue of The Friend evoked many emotions.
I was struck by the fine obituaries to Helena and Jonathan. In the same issue, the property where Jonathan had his accident is advertised for sale ("The address rural charm meets urban chic"). One cannot avoid noticing in the photograph of the house that there are no railings on the building.

It is now well-known that an accident occurred, but there does not appear to have been an inquiry into the circumstances of the accident. Is the municipality intending investigating whether or not building regulations were followed? Was the building 'passed ' in its present form? What can be learned to make building in the town better regulated and safer?

I need hardly mention that industrial and workplace accidents have to be investigated in the public interest.

Bokkie Botha


PA Munisipaliteit lewer kommentaar


  1. Die adres “Rural charm meets urban chic” het nooit enige bouinspeksies aangevra nie. Die onus berus op die eienaar/bouer om inspeksies aan te vra.
  2. Daar is wel ’n ondersoek na die omstandighede rondom die ongeluk uitgevoer op die terrein.
  3. Die Munisipaliteit het wel die planne vir die gebou goedgekeur, maar daar is beduidende afwykings waarvan die weglatings van handrelings nie die enigste is nie.
  4. Daar is nooit ’n voltooiingsertifikaat uitgereik nie en die gebou is nooit deur die Munisipaliteit goedgekeur nie. Die bouer/eienaar het nooit ‘n finale inspeksie aangevra nie.
  5. Daar is nou ’n bouinspekteur vir die afgelope 3 maande by die Munisipaliteit aangestel om alle bouwerk, volgens Wet 103 van 1977 in die toekoms te monitor.

E G SEPTEMBER
Wnde MUNISIPALE BESTUURDER

No comments: