Sunday, June 29, 2008

Stoep Talk: The Crock in the Crocs

Having recently returned from a two-week break away from Prince Albert, my system went into instant shock with the cold. Oh, for the warmer weather I’d left behind and where’s everybody? Are they hibernating? “Be positive,” I said to myself and proceeded to draw up a two-page list of tasks and projects that could occupy me over the next few weeks.

I looked forward to starting them the next morning, but this was not to be. As I got up and made my way to the kitchen, my lower back went into spasm. For the next couple of days, I could only stand vertically or take a horizontal position.

Much to the amusement of my husband, for the first time in our married life, “Miss Independent” had to ask him to dress her. I made sure the clothes he put on were crease proof – in case I had to sleep in them for a few days while he was away on a business trip. The Crocs of course were critical for the “Crock” as they could be slipped on standing up.

I was distressed to discover that I could not get on with 95% of my “to-do” list.
This led me to think about all the people, particularly the elderly, who live in Prince Albert and who because of their infirmities are unable to do simple tasks. An elderly friend came to mind. She fell in the night in her home and broke her hip, but couldn’t crawl to the ‘phone to call for help. Thank goodness, because of our caring ways in Prince Albert, a neighbour who routinely visited her each morning, found her.

I am one of the fortunate ones, whose back is on the mend and my list will be completed; but how many are there out there who cannot complete or even start theirs because of their frailty, age, economic situation or whatever. Let’s be on the lookout and see if we can do something, no matter how small, about it.

No comments: