Thursday, April 30, 2009

Outa Lappies Inspires Words and Music

Local singer-songwriter, Brian Finch, has composed a song in tribute to Outa Lappies, which he will perform during the Town and Olive Festival.

Brian explains: “Six years ago I was inspired to write a song about Outa Lappies when I first met him when he was living at Botterkraal on the Prince Albert Road.

Time passed and nothing transpired until I saw the write-ups in the Fransie Pienaar Museum recently. I started doing some research into the Outa Lappies story. I visited him at the Prince Albert Road station and from that day the song was born.

I would like to thank Nicoleen Basson for her input, words and translations. The song will be recorded during my upcoming tour of Namibia.” Brian will be performing at Mike’s Memorabilia and at African Relish during the Festival. Please see the Festival Programme for details.

Outa Lappies, Waar is Jy My Broer?

Jou stories waai weg soos rolbos innie wind
Jy is vir ewig Karoo se kind
Patrone van jou lewe gelap innie kleure
Van jou ou jas wat jy om jou vou
As jy nou hartseer onthou

Jou oë trek water as die son ondergaan
Met Boesmanstee en beskuitjies, laat jou alles verstaan
Met jou rug na die wind
Trek jy jou waantjie so swaar
Jou ou siel weet jou reise is klaar

Van heinde en verre het die mense kom vra
Vir klippies van wysheid om saam te dra
Oppie stofpad vannie lewe
Waar die horison wink
Outa Lappies jy’s ewig Karoo se kind

Outa Lappies waar is jy my broer?
Ek hoor jy’s nog steeds innie Groot Karoo
Is dit waar jy bly langs die Prins Albert spoorlyn
Soos die blare in winter het jy verdwyn

No comments: